See you next time! time!time!time!
This page will stop functioning on January 1st, 2019.
I doubt this comes as a surprise to many, but yeah.
I've kept this on life support for a bit, since the point of this has always been to stop download links from dying out.
However, I've lost the will to keep working on it, and making others pay the bills for it haunts my dreams.
What went right:
- Pretty cool learning experience. (This was my first serious coding time, and getting stuff to a sweet spot of everything working was awesome.)
- Got way more activity than I expected. (Biggest moment was around 100 simultaneous visitors I think! Never thought it'd get that far! Even now it has close to 60! (Hi, user searching for hentai skins!))
- Helped many people. (I see a fair amount of posts in forums, blogs, other websites, etc. linking here. I'm glad I made something useful!)
What went wrong:
- Bit off more than I thought I could chew. (I tried to add too many features with no order or logic, which resulted in a bunch of pasta code thrown around git branches and staged changes. Eek.)
- Babby's first PHP project. It's a BIG,FAT mess which hasn't seen any kind of coding standard, performance consideration or good practice ever. Or even indentation. (Seriously wtf is up with that, I knew how to tab back then.)
- Didn't account for scalability. Right now the server is filled, to the point I'll have trouble even uploading this file. The solution proposed means rewriting a major part of the file management system all over the page. If only there was a sane structure or classes...
- Lack of communication. The emails asking me why registrations stopped working and/or login busted start two years ago. By the conditions of the page and its issue tracker you can see what was wrong with it, but still. This was a shit way to handle it. No excuses.
Hey, why not upload it to GitHub so people can collaborate on it, if it troubles you so much?
It'd be easier for anyone else to start from zero. Everything down there is a bunch of code mixed with page, page mixed with code, copypastes from SO answers sprinkled around... Hell, even if I were to pick it back up I'd redo it from scratch.
So what will happen to the skins???
I'm not entirely sure of it myself. I will delete everything off the server once its time comes, but I might make a big zip and upload it somewhere before. Or make a lot of Mega folders and put it there. Or...
I'll think up something by then. I'm open to suggestions.
And the users?
Registrations will be disabled and I'll severely limit the editing options of current accounts to prevent nasty stuff.
Of course, when it shuts down, all user info will be erased, along with any backups I might have.
It's been fun. Hopefully we meet again!
osu! Skins staff